How did you come to know Christ?
FCA was a casual, convenient place to hang out in High School. Coaches were always a huge part of my athletic upbringing. God revealed Himself to me at the University of Arizona in 1988 through a typical FCA meeting where college athletes and college coaches unpacked the Bible together and challenged me to pursue Christ. God used one verse (Colossians 3:23) to capture my heart and mind, and begin the process of drawing me toward a life-long adventure with Him.
Why do you work for FCA?
Honestly, they called in February of 1997 and painted a picture of what sports and faith in Christ being on a collision course really looked like. I was a Television Sportscaster at the time, and FCA recruited me to pursue speaking to coaches and teams and athletes about my faith journey at the University of Arizona. My wife and I began to pray about the opportunity and the doors God opened were undeniable. Along the way, God has graciously confirmed our calling to try and impact coaches and athletes with the Word of God, by hopefully living our faith out practically for everyone to see. (Matthew 5:16)
What’s your vision for FCA?
Arizona FCA needs to be comparable to In-N-Out Burger. We exist to execute three menu options.
1. We love and serve coaches of all ages and stages, and challenge them to “Coach for Christ.”
2. We love and serve athletes at the youth, competitive, and professional levels and train them to “Compete for Christ.”
3. If we do # 1 and # 2 effectively, why wouldn’t we continue to ask the Lord to raise up a group of volunteers, teammates, staff members, donors, pastors and parents to help us put the heart and soul in sports in Arizona.
Coaches who impacted you the most and why?
Ed Lucier – He was my Junior High basketball coach and a Penn St. fanatic. That’s all he talked about when he wasn’t teaching English. He expected excellence out of me on the court as well as the classroom.
Bob Beltramo – He was my baseball coach growing up. He was tough as nails and wouldn’t let me settle.
Five Favorites with Brian:
Favorite Bible Verse: Galatians 2:20
Favorite Athletes: Brynley and Bennett Beltramo
Favorite Movie: Field of Dreams
Season of Life, by Jeffrey Marx
Favorite Sports Teams: University of Arizona Athletics, Green Bay Packers, Auburn Football
- Desert Christian High School Baseball - Varsity Assistant Coach
- Arcadia High School Basketball - Freshman Head Coach
- Warriors Baseball 10u - 12u - Head Coach
- Athletics Baseball 13u - Assistant Coach
- Athletics Baseball 14u - Head Coach